Friday, October 5, 2012

How To Can Mustard Greens

This is how I can mustard greens.
I pick a few bags of mustard greens from the garden. The sink above has one bag of mustard greens in it.
 I wash and drain them.
 I then wilt the mustard greens so that they fit into the jars better.
 I remove the mustard greens from the hot water.
 I place the mustard greens into quart jars. I then add 1 tsp. of salt to each jar and fill with water. I also put the lids and rings onto the jars.
I then place the jars into the prepared canner.
I process them on ten pounds of pressure for one and a half hours.
I remove the jars from the canner, let them cool and wash them off. I let them sit for twenty four hours and remove the rings. Then I place them in the pantry. :)
The process from picking them to removing them from the canner takes atleast five hours.
 
I thank the Lord for his many blessings :)

2 comments:

Trails of Grace said...

Hey Misty, thanks for stopping by my blog! I love mustard greens. My folks always blanched and froze their mustard greens. I love the way your jars look.. and canning...woot! I have mustard greens getting ready to go in the garden this week! Can't wait to check out the rest of your blog post.

Camille said...

Very cool. I have done boiling water canning, but, I haven't entered the world of pressure canning...it intrigues me. What do you do with the greens when it comes time to eat them? I've never had them. :)

Blessings to you!
Camille